Sunday, May 4, 2008

Squandering my Retirement



I have decided that I may not be around to enjoy my retirement so I am going to enjoy my present.  I watched my parents postpone so many things for a future that never came.

Since my house is on the neighborhood home tour I have been spending money like I had it.  I have not added any debt, but the proceeds from the sale of the Boston condo are pretty well burned through.  

I have hired professional help to finish some of the house projects, so now I have a working shower in the downstairs bath (yea!!!) that is really nice, and tile in the laundry/mud room area, and cleaned and organized the laundry area, and had the upstairs bath tile finished.  








The contractor added beadboard to the front of the tub area to finally finish it off, and I hope to get the touch-up painting done next week.  I am even having professionally made curtains done for the downstairs.





I have some wonderful new paintings hung too, and that really brightens things up.   

Lots of new plants in the garden in front and down the side.  The hollyhocks are budding, and the roses, and the first of the wildflowers in front.   There will be lots of sunflowers this summer, and in front there are astilbe, lilies, lenten rose, lilly of the valley, bleeding heart, columbine, and iris.   In the meadow there are milkweed, coneflowers, russian sage, ornamental corn, and lots of things I don't know the names of.   On the side there are delphinium, lots of strawberries, poppies, foxgloves, more lilies, and of course sunflowers and hollyhocks.  Oh, and clematis, and lavender, and peonies.

I have actually signed the contract for the landscapers to do the back yard, with patio and plants and walls with phlox spilling over, and a fountain.    It is amazing what there is room for if you get rid of the grass.  And I have rainbarrel, and birdfeeders and a little birdbath to keep the wildlife happy.




No comments: